May 29, 2012

Ovenbaked Pork Spareribs: "You're the one gettin' fancy with the spices!"

So, on Saturday night, my stomach convinced me that diving into the freezer and pulling out a pack of ribs that was frozen solid for dinner in 3 hours was going to be a good idea. Obviously my stomach has a mind of it's own because even now typing that out still sounds like a bad idea.

Well, I did what my stomach commanded, instantly transferred the ribs from the butcher rap to a zip-lock bag under running water in hopes of eating sometime before I starved to death. About thirty minutes or so later I basically emptied my spice cabinet onto the counter top and hoped for the best.

Being from Texas, it's drilled into you at a very young age that good ribs have to sit in the marinade for several hours or else you are ruining perfectly good meat. Personally I do like to let my ribs soak at least 4 hours, if not 8+. Heck, if I'm planning ahead for family, that rack of ribs sits in a dry rub for 12 hours and then a marinade for another 12.

Whelp, despite my better judgement and fear of exile from the good graces of the meat gods, I went ahead and seasoned that meat and threw it in the fridge for about an hour before reluctantly putting them into the oven to cook. When it comes down to messing up a perfectly good rack of ribs and starving to death, I'll risk the ribs every time. :)

However, the one thing these ribs weren't, after only sitting for an hour in the fridge, were flavorless.

I promise pictures next time, but I wasn't even really planning on 'cooking' or 'inventing' so I kind of forgot. Be that as it may, I feel this recipe is too good to keep to myself. I would have taken pictures this time, but my boyfriend and I devoured the whole rack of ribs rather quickly.

By the way the title is a work in process and suggestions are appreciated. And beware, this does sound a little wacky, but it is definitely a winner when it comes to quick ribs. So, go get fancy with the spices!

_____________________________________________________

3 Hour Spareribs

Ingredients
     - 1 rack of pork spareribs
     - 1/4 cup brown sugar
     - Seasoned Salt
     - Creole Seasoning
     - Garlic Salt
     - Salt
     - Pepper
     - Oregano
     - Basil
     - Cinnamon
     - 1/4 to 1/2 cup Worcestershire

Directions
     - Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

     - Rinse and pat dry your rack of ribs before seasoning. Flip over to the back side of the rack and remove the membrane.

     - On the back side of the ribs, sprinkle and rub about half of the brown sugar into the meat. Afterwards generously sprinkle with the seasoning salt, creole seasoning, garlic salt, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Personally I also added lemon pepper seasoning and all-purpose seasoning. Feel free to add in anything from your spice cabinet that sounds tasty. Top with plenty of cinnamon.

     - Flip the rack of ribs and repeat on the front side. On the front however, after you top with cinnamon, rub the seasoning into the meat (seasoning doesn't rub into bone very well so doing so on the back doesn't always go well).

     - Place ribs in a 9x13 baking dish and top with Worcestershire. Use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup depending on personal preference, but just make sure that you coat the top of the meat completely.

     - Cover with foil and put in the oven for 1 hour (this is high altitude cooking time so check on it at after about 45-50mins). Pull out of the oven and enjoy straight from the pan or with your favorite BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment